Documents and publications we produce
Our documents and publications
The Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC) prepares and produces a diverse range of documents and publications. These documents include:
- publicly available guides, information sheets, templates, reports, policies, products and other tools;
- internal documents relating to our regulatory functions including review and complaint files, memos, briefs, legal advice, case notes, training and events records, correspondence, meeting minutes and agendas, protective data security plans and attestations, and investigation, examination and audit reports and records;
- internal operational documents including recruitment and employee records, correspondence, meeting minutes and agendas, memos, briefs, legal advice, correspondence, project plans and briefs, and corporate governance records;
- reports and advice prepared by external consultants, third parties, and other organisations.
Publicly available documents falling within these categories can be accessed on our website through the links below or by using the website search function.
If you need assistance finding a document or publication, or you think something is missing please contact us.
The Information Commissioner is required to report annually on the performance and exercise of the Information Commissioner’s functions and powers under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) (PDP Act) and the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic) (FOI Act).
The annual report must also contain a report on the operation of the FOI Act in Victoria for that financial year.
Visit the Annual Reports section on our website to access these publications.
Guidance and resources
You can access all of OVIC’s guidance and resources on our website:
- Freedom of information resources for members of the public
- How to make a freedom of information request
- How to request an amendment to a record containing personal information
- Find the contact details of Victorian agencies
- Request a review of an agency decision
- Make a complaint about the conduct of an agency
- Freedom of information resources for agencies
- Practice notes
- Professional Standards
- Due date and access charges calculators
- Research and reports
- Privacy resources for members of the public;
- How to make a privacy complaint
- What to do if you are involved in a data breach
- Understand your privacy rights in Victoria
- Privacy resources for organisations;
- Guidelines to the Information Privacy Principles
- Information sharing resources
- Privacy impact assessment guide and template
- Privacy and technology guides
- Information security resources for organisations
- Victorian Protective Data Security Framework and Standards
- Assessing the Security Value of Information
- Applying Protective Markings
- Information Security Risk Management
- Information security agency reporting obligations
OVIC makes submissions on government initiatives or proposals at a state and federal level that impact on freedom of information, information privacy or information security. These submissions seek to ensure the community’s expectations for their information rights are considered in the implementation of new projects and reforms.
Visit the submissions section on our website to download or view our submissions.
Research and reports
OVIC produces and commissions a range of research and reports on matters that relate to freedom of information, information privacy, and information security.
Visit the research and reports section of our website to read and download these publications. See also reports and advice prepared by external consultants, third parties, and other organisations.
OVIC has regulatory powers to undertake investigations, examinations and audits of Victorian public sector organisations.
Visit the regulatory action section of our website to access our regulatory action policy, regulatory priorities, and investigations, audits and examinations reports.
News and media
OVIC publishes a range of digital communications including a monthly newsletter, latest news, blog posts, social media and video content with the latest freedom of information, privacy, and data protection news and updates.
See below for a list of news and media publications:
Visit the News and Media section on our website to access these publications.
Internal policies, procedures and registers
OVIC maintains a number of policies and procedures used to make decisions or provide advice, as well as corporate registers and policies.
Visit the Internal policies, procedures and registers section on our website to see a list of these documents.