Agency FOI Information Service
What is the Agency FOI Information Service?
OVIC’s Agency FOI Information Service is an email service designed to provide Victorian public sector agency FOI principal officers and practitioners advice and guidance.
If you are looking for information on the administration and operation of the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic) (FOI Act) and the FOI Professional Standards, that you cannot find on OVIC’s website, you can now email us at AskFOI@ovic.vic.gov.au.
Experienced staff will provide free, tailored guidance.
We will generally respond within 24 hours. Although responses may take between 1 – 5 business days, depending on the complexity of the enquiry.
How do I access the service?
Please include the following information in your email:
1. Your question to be answered;
2. The general nature of your query and relevant section of the FOI Act;
3. A short summary including any relevant background or contextual information; and
4. The outcome sought by seeking advice.
When emailing your questions and accessing the service please de-identify the subject matter and/or the applicant.
Prior to accessing the service, we encourage agencies to consider the FOI agency resources available on OVIC’s website.
Who can access the service?
The service has been established for Victorian public sector agency staff only.
If you are a member of the public and have an query about the FOI Act please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note this service does not:
1. Provide legal advice;
2. Provide advice on whether a specific document is exempt or not exempt under the FOI Act;
3. Review information or documents subject to an FOI request;
4. Provide information or guidance in relation to a current OVIC complaint or review; or
5. Provide advice on whether an FOI request is valid.
Read the Agency FOI Information Service Guidelines for more information.