Skip to Content

How to make a complaint

You can complain to us about:

  1. any act or practice of:
    • a Victorian Government organisation;
    • a local council; or
    • a contracted service provider to a Victorian Government organisation or a local council;
  2. that involves personal information about you (other than health information – complaints about health information must be lodged with the Health Complaints Commissioner); and
  3. that you believe is in breach of one of the ten Information Privacy Principles (IPPs).

Important information about our complaints process

It’s free to lodge a complaint.

Complaints must be made in writing.

You should attempt to resolve your complaint with the organisation directly before you complain to us. See Before you make a complaint.

We do not ‘investigate’ complaints, and we do not have the power to make a binding ruling or determination about your complaint. That means we can’t force the respondent to compensate you, or to take any other specific action to resolve your complaint. See What happens when I make a complaint?

We provide an alternative dispute resolution service. Specifically, our role is to try to resolve complaints through conciliation, which means we will try to facilitate a conversation between you and the respondent to help you reconcile your differences yourselves. See Conciliation.

You do not need a lawyer. If you do decide to hire a lawyer, you must pay for the lawyer yourself.

You can choose to withdraw your complaint at any time.

Make a privacy complaint

You can make a complaint by downloading a copy of our privacy complaint form, completing it and sending it to us by post or email:


Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner
PO Box 24274
Melbourne VIC 3001


Back to top