OVIC Stakeholder Engagement Survey
To measure the effectiveness of our engagement activities in 2019, we deployed our first short online survey to Victorian public sector (VPS) agencies. The survey results established a benchmark, where future results can be assessed and measured against.
The survey comprised three key branches:
- freedom of information;
- privacy; and
- information security.
Our second annual stakeholder engagement survey was conducted in October 2020.
We received a total of 331 responses including:
- 115 on freedom of information (FOI);
- 100 on information privacy; and
- 116 on information security.
Despite being conducted during COVID-19 restrictions with VPS agency staff working remotely, the response rate was slightly higher than the original survey in 2019.
- OVIC is seen as a trusted advisor and source of expertise on FOI, privacy, and data protection. 10 out of 20 performance measures improved from last year;
- the quality of OVIC’s input to conciliate or achieve early resolution in FOI complaints or disputes increased from 67.2% to 83.5% in 2020;
- for a second year OVIC was seen as a source of high quality information and education activities. Of the four measures on education, three increased compared to 2019 results. Face-to-face training results decreased from 2019 reflecting the impact of COVID-19 restrictions. However, there was a 10.5% increase in online training participation and live streaming of FOI Information Access Seminars;
- stakeholders reported having a reasonable understanding of the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic)(FOI Act) and Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (PDP Act). There was a negligible drop in 6 of the 9 of these measures;
- perceptions of OVIC’s role in encouraging increasing public access to information measures for shifting agency attitudes towards public access to information increased. 3 of these 6 reported increases;
- internal support for privacy officers within their organisations grew 3% compared to 2019; and
- out of six information security measures, four improved in 2020. The greatest change was a 6.9% increase in managers actively encouraging staff to understand and apply the Victorian Protective Data Security Framework to their work activities.
Research insights will be applied to OVIC’s 2021-22 engagement plans and inform the development of OVIC’s 2021-24 Strategic Plan.
In October 2021, the annual wave of the stakeholder engagement survey will be deployed across VPS agencies. For more information contact email@example.com.