Business Impact Levels (BIL) are used to determine the security value of public sector information. BILs describe the potential harm or damage to government operations, organisations or individuals if there were a compromise to the confidentiality, integrity or availability of public sector information.
What does the BIL app do?
- Presents the VPDSF BIL table in a digital, sequenced format;
- Helps users conduct an information security value assessment; and
- Allows users to send themselves a copy of the assessment results.
How does it work?
The app helps users conduct an information security value assessment process by stepping through each of the impact categories presented in the BIL table. Under each impact category users need to consider the potential impact across five severity levels, if the –
- Confidentiality (C);
- Integrity (I); or
- Availability (A) of public sector information were compromised.
The outcome of this assessment determines:
- if the information requires a protective marking and what that marking is; and
- whether any additional security measures are required to further protect the information, beyond those established by the protective marking.
Users who conduct an information security value assessment using the app, will also be presented with an option to email themselves a copy of the assessment results.
Where can I download the BIL app?
The BIL app is now available for Apple device users to download from the app store. It will soon be available for Android users to download from the Google Play store.
Who do I contact if I need help with the app?
Contact OVIC’s Information Security Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org.