OVIC’s Agency FOI Information Service is an email service designed to provide Victorian public sector agency FOI principal officers and practitioners free tailored advice and guidance. The service is delivered by the experienced and dedicated Public Access Branch OVIC team.
If you are looking for information on the administration and operation of the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic) (FOI Act) and the FOI Professional Standards, that you cannot find on OVIC’s website, you can now email us at AskFOI@ovic.vic.gov.au. We will generally respond within 24hours. Although responses may take between 1 – 5 business days, depending on the complexity of the enquiry.
When accessing the service please de-identify the subject matter and/or the applicant and include the following information to assist OVIC in responding to your query:
1. Your question to be answered;
2. The general nature of your query and relevant section of the FOI Act;
3. A short summary including any relevant background or contextual information; and
4. The outcome sought by seeking advice.
Prior to accessing the service, agencies are encouraged to consider the FOI agency resources currently available on OVIC’s website
The service has been established for VPS agency staff only. If you are a member of the public and have an query about the FOI Act please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Guidance is also available on OVIC’s website at www.ovic.vic.gov.au
Please note: This service does not:
1. Provide legal advice;
2. Provide advice on whether a specific document is exempt or not exempt under the FOI Act;
3. Review information or documents subject to an FOI request;
4. Provide information or guidance in relation to a current OVIC complaint or review; or
5. Provide advice on whether an FOI request is valid.